Friday 28 January 2011

UK manufacturing is reborn

I read Drapers every day. I set it to my homepage so that whenever I go on the internet I have to look at it. Today has rekindled my love for Drapers. Sometimes it gets a bit boring as I'm not that bothered about whose making what profit at this stage in my career. However, the best article I've ever read that was basically written for me! It's quite a long article, but the summary is, they are wanting to bring manufacture back to the UK as it's getting too expensive over seas. So my career as a seamstress is looking even more likely. If you want to read the full article it's called UK manufacturing is reborn.
Here are some stats taken from their website.

30%

Average growth in orders at one UK manufacturer over the past 12 months
“People want to get their clothes produced in England. Retailers are going to come back because they are not happy with the quality from overseas.”
Maggie Apostolou, manager of clothing manufacturer Arenco in Leyton, east London

70

Number of people recruited by one UK manufacturer in the past 12 months
“I would recruit more but there are no apprenticeships which teach true manufacturing skills.”
Mark Purcell, manager of supplier Yusuf Menswear in Birmingham

30%

Average growth predicted for the next 12 months at one UK manufacturer
“We’re growing… we’ve increased our customer base dramatically.”
Tony McNulty, managing director of ATF Textiles, Stafford

£943

Minimum pay per annum for a textile worker in China
SOURCE: Drapers’ straw poll of UK manufacturers

No comments:

Post a Comment