Tuesday 22 March 2011

Collection Fabrics

Today I was really looking forward to sitting down with Karen and getting her to go through my swatches with me. She is a bit of an eco freak like me so I knew she would be interested in my fabrics. She mentioned wanting to have a look at them in my toile review. She asked me today if she could have a look at them and of course I said yes and asked her if she could come and help me afterwards. Unfortunately she gave them to another student to look at who now wants to use the fabrics that I'm using in my collection. I know I should be really happy that they are using ethical fabrics, but they don't care that their ethical. It's not like they will be adopting a new ethical outlook on life. Their justification for now using ethical fabrics is absurd. One of the nice things about my collection is that I'm banishing the myth that ethical fabric is dowdy and all of my fabrics are completely different to everyone else in the class. I spent days trawling through sites searching desperately for ethical fabrics. At one point I was genuinely contemplating growing bamboo. Until I realised that was a ridiculous idea. To me it seems a bit unfair I put all this work in finding the fabrics, e-mailing countless companies and trying to think of different ways to reuse fabrics, get off cuts and end of rolls, had over a month of hassle trying to get the fabrics once I found them and now someone has come a long and got all of my hard work for free.

On the plus side I know which fabrics I'm having for what designs. But when Karen went through my fabrics with me she had already been through all of my fabrics so wasn't as excited as she might have been looking through them for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment