Thursday 23 December 2010

Successful People


Safia Minney launched People Tree in the UK in 2001. It appeals to me because it is a Fair Trade company. She is seen to be one of the worlds leading analysts of Fair Trade for the fashion industry. She also prompted the need for a World Fair Trade Day. Her company strives to create opportunities for economically disadvantaged producers, payment of a fair price, gender equity, improved working conditions and the environment.

'Fairtrade, what People Tree is all about, goes a step farther, using fashion as a tool for social development and to provide an income for marginalised communities.'

If you want to know more about Safia Minney and what she is up to then you can check out her blog.


Oscar Wilde is successful because he was one of the greatest writers of certainly his time. In my opinion one of the greatest writers of all time. He wrote many short stories, plays and poems that continue to inspire millions around the world. He experienced a lot of harrow in his life and a lot of bad reviews for his work. This never deterred him and he continued to write ahead of his time. His only novel The Picture of Dorian Gray, perhaps seen as one of his greatest works, would later be his undoing. When he was arrested for gross indecency and sentenced to two years hard labour, it was this novel that appeared before the courts as it has gross indecency within it. Gross indecency was a way to lock up men thought to be homosexual where sodomy couldn’t be proven. He stayed true to himself throughout his life and that is one of many reasons why I admire him.

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.’


Michael Jordan is looked upon by many as being one of the most successful sportsman in the world. There is no denying he is successful but it is how we began that I find most inspiring. He was cut from his high school basketball team. A man who is known as the best basketball player of all time, wasn’t good enough to play for his high school team. This is encouraging to me because it shows that if you are really passionate and have drive for something, if you show determination, you can, and will succeed.

"I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot, and I missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Al Gore interests me mainly because he is an environmental activist. He ran for president in 2000 but lost out to George Bush. I often wonder how the world would be different if Al Gore had of won the election. He has founded many businesses including the Alliance for Climate Protection. He is also a member of the board of directors of Apple Inc., and is a senior advisor to Google. Receiving the Nobel Peace Prize and writing his book An Inconvient Truth that is all about climate change he was named runner-up for Time’s 2007 Person of the Year. He is trying to make a difference in the world for the better, successful for many other reasons, this is the reason I think he is successful.

As I have said for many years throughout this land, we're borrowing money from China to buy oil from the Persian Gulf to burn it in ways that destroy the future of human civilization. Every bit of that has to change.’

No comments:

Post a Comment